[KS] Korean studies in Russia

Lauren W. Deutsch lwdeutsch at earthlink.net
Fri May 2 16:07:46 EDT 2008

As I am not an academic professional affiliated with a institution (university, foundation, etc.) I have been reticent to participate in the conversation as I believe it deserves to be focused on academic opportunities for students and teachers, reseracher and others that constitute a professional field.

>From a journalist's and "cultural consumer" perspective, I wish to offer another view of the same thing. So little is written in the public media about Korea. For the last 15+ years, I have been observing that the average Korean expat in Los Angeles (second largest Korean city in the world) could care less about their root culture and know very little about it. It is odd that Koreans of any recent generation will tell me that I know more about Korea than they do. Pitty, I remark.

Having produced a series of spoken word literary programs (20th Century Korean short stories in English translation) for public radio over 10 years ago, it was next to impossible to find material. There still is little in the way of published translated travel guides to the heart of Korea. I believe Korea's low national self-esteem is to "blame". I see it has gotten much better from the Korea side, but there needs to be a critical mass of caring ... translated into all languages ... in all fields. This would include social sciences, culture and arts, not just politics and ecnomics.