[KS] Korean War atrocities

Leonid Petrov petrov at coombs.anu.edu.au
Wed May 21 22:19:56 EDT 2008

Dear Friends,

I would like to support Michael Knudsen's appeal for a balanced and
impartial stance when dealing with sensitive topics (and most topics
related to Korean history are sensitive), particularly the Korean War.

See a fairly balanced and impartial approach to the 1950 Teajon/Daejon
massacre as given in chapter 2, 'The War that Was,' in Gavan
McCormack's "Target North Korea: Pushing North Korea to the Brink of
Nuclear Catastrophe", New York, Nation Books 2004.

This part is available on-line:
http://leonidpetrov.wordpress.com/conflicts/

Yours sincerely,

Leonid Petrov
--

>Friends,
>I may not have the background or the education that many on this list have but I would like to ask all of you to show caution in your investigation of war time atrocities. What has particularly caught my eye is the fact that Georgy Katsiaficas lives in Kwang Ju and works for Chun Nam University. As we all know, Kwang Ju and Chun Nam University are historically a hot bed for Korean political activity and has seen it's fare share of demonstrations (protests). I agree that this should be investigated. But, as one who has lived and worked in Korea and in Kwang Ju in particular I fear that if this investigation is not done in a sensitive manner, emotions will run high and people could get hurt.

>Respectfully,
Michael Knudsen
Salt Lake City, Utah
utwingnut at gimail.af.mil