[KS] Korean "back-to-the-land" movement or 귀농운동

Jim Thomas jimpthomas at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 7 12:48:32 EDT 2009

Dear Mr.Geesman,

You might try Professor Cho Oakla at Sogang University. She has been doing work on 허병섭, a minister in Muju.  After a long career working with the urban poor in Seoul, Rev. HO took up organic farming and has been building a community in Muju to that end. I spoke with Professor Cho last summer and don't know how far her writing on him has progressed. She did mention that he gave a short presentation on 녹색대학 for a workshop organized by 농어촌사회연구소 in April a year ago. If you have an interest in contacting him, I think I can dig up his phone number if you recontact me directly.
  If memory serves, Kim Chi Ha was also involded in an earlier such endeavor in the 1980s, probably 1987 and 1988.

  And Pool Moo High School in HongSOng, Chungnam, has been involved in this movement for the last 40+ years.

Hope this helps,

jim thomas