[KS] Romanisation

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen67 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 14:10:56 EDT 2009

It probably is worth noting that the almighty Wikipedia (the first and often
only source that all too many of my students consult) uses the RR system
(although entries often also list Mc-R romanization for some terms as well).
This fact alone may contribute more to the propagation and standardization
of the RR system's use than any debate among scholars.

I do, however, have one concern about wholesale adoption of the RR system:
is it appropriate to use this system when writing about North Korea?
Choosing the ROK-devised RR system to write about the DPRK (which has
developed its own system of romanization) seems to me to make a political
statement (albeit unintended in many cases) about the "true" Korea, the true
source of authority on Korea etc.

Cheers,

Kirk Larsen

--