[KS] Romanisation

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Apr 28 00:46:29 EDT 2009

Some afterthoughts -- seeing how this debate goes:

Benjamin Joinau, I think, put it very well when bringing in locality
and calling it a "schizophrenic situation" we have to continue to
live with. The further away from (South) Korea and its institutional,
political, and financial structure, the more likely one will continue
to use the McC-R system. Yet, South Korea is very close now, and
Korean Studies is hardly done anywhere without financial support
coming from Seoul. It then comes all down to the changing power
structures and world system changes.

Kirk Larsen mentioned that all too often his students would only
consult the "almighty Wikipedia" on the Internet (which uses the new
government system). That would mark my second point: To someone
outside the traditional educational institutions -- with the
universities at the top -- the Internet and its stunning
possibilities to search for and access knowledge freely and without
the need of any group association (church, academic institution,
nationality, etc.) or geographic locality, and with Google and the
Wikipedia as two of the best and most popular proponents, is the most
important and most wonderful invention of the past century. That at
least is what one of my older brothers tells me, who experienced
institutional education mostly as bi-weekly encounters with the
school teacher's stick, and after that with the village pastor's
stick, and in between with our father's stick. He is one of the
nicest and most intelligent people I know, only his interests and
ideas did not quite fit into the institutional hierarchies of
knowledge and power. With globalization these structures of knowledge
have changed and continue to change -- or, as Immanuel Wallerstein
puts it: "The structures of knowledge have entered a period of
anarchy and bifurcation" (2006). This happens at many fronts at the
same time. On the one hand, the concept of Orientalism which Asian
Studies (in Europe at least) has been build upon, has largely
disappeared, together with the whole concept of scientific
universalism with its believes in universal values and universal
truth. On the other hand, there are many indications that
universities are loosing their place in society at the top of the
hierarchical pyramid of production and reproduction of knowledge.
Attempts to better connect to the market by introducing a control
system similar to the industry (e.g. at British universities) are
chasing away many independent minded scholars while it does not go
far enough for others. Jobs at Google or elsewhere seem to offer
better possibilities for forward looking young scientists.

I would even extend this evolutionary historic process to the fine
arts: in the Renaissance, for example, we had the great well trained
masters who did perfectionize their handicraft skills while being
scientific inventors and researchers all at the same time (think of
Leonardo), thus creating our image of 'the artist'. From the 1920s to
the 50s, maybe 60s, we saw artists being "avant-garde" by proposing
all kind of theories about politics and society (all very
universalist and therefore totally outdated today) and/or criticizing
social and political circumstances. But have you seen any art work
recently that did really blow your mind away by addressing current
issues. Not that there aren't any, but in general artists are behind
the times, having a hard time following up, and commercial MTV clips
are often more analytic and provocative than contemporary
installations in museums. Art has lost/changed its role in society
more than once over the past hundred years, and has now gotten from
avant-garde to just-a-little-too-late-garde.

The world system is at a very crucial historical state of transition
now, one that seems as crucial as the transition from late medieval
to modern. Institutions change, contents is changing, means of
communication changes as well as the meaning of communication itself,
global power structures change -- and all this certainly also changes
our concepts and values. All That Is Solid Melts into Air: With the
center gone -- not shifted elsewhere but gone -- any concept of a
universal value system, universal aesthetics, a universal (or better
'universalist') authority is also gone. This is true for the role of
institutions, universities, scholars. It may all come back some day,
in different ways, after the world system has been restructured.
Right now it seems like the beginning of a "period of anarchy and
bifurcation" (Wallerstein), a state of reality that has not really
been digested intellectually and historically by those institutions
and individuals that "traditionally" (in the modern world) would be
expected to do this ... scholars, artists, etc. And this is then the
exact historic millisecond where I see our romanization debate being
located. The issue seems not so much a better or worse linguistic
system, it is a problem of lost authority in a world system that as
of today has not replaced that authority with anything else. That
authority has not shifted elsewhere, it just melts into air.
"Schizophrenic situation" -- indeed.

Frank