[KS] Fwd: Re: Exporting Hanguel Writing System

Eugene Y. Park epa at sas.upenn.edu
Mon Aug 10 02:03:29 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I can't agree more with Walter's observation. This thread reminds me of how in
the medieval period, the Turkic Khazars adopted Judaism after weighing all its
pros and cons, along with Christianity and Islam's. As Gari and others have
rightfully pointed out, Han'geul just is not suitable for many of the languages
in the world, but I also agree with Stephen and Robert's observations that
almost no writing system can represent every possible sound of all languages in
the world--unless some flexibility is allowed for the sound value of each
letter.

Remaining open to the charge that the motivating force on the part of the Korean
promoters is nationalism, personally I'm more interested to learn about what the
Jiajia (spelling?) people themselves have been considering -- in the same way
the manner in which the Khazars adopted Judaism remains
proverbial in world history.

Best,
Gene

--
Eugene (Gene) Y. Park
Korea Foundation Associate Professor of History
E-mail: epa at sas.upenn.edu