[KS] RASKB Transactions

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Mon Dec 7 01:38:40 EST 2009

In 1900, the year the Royal Asiatic Society Korea Branch was founded, it began publishing an annual English-language journal, Transactions. This surely makes it the oldest Korean Studies journal still in existence, although the Pacific War and the Korean War obliged the RASKB to suspend all its activities for a considerable time. We are currently inviting the submission of papers for Volume 84 of Transactions, to be published in May 2010. Perhaps members of this list might like to propose papers?

It is our hope that volume 85, to be published in May 2011 (but dated 2010), will be a special issue marking the 100th anniversary of the Japanese annexation. Papers on that topic would be especially welcome in the course of next year.

The RASKB  http://www.raskb.com/   is also hoping to hear of scholars who will be visiting Korea in 2010 who could give a public lecture to the RASKB on Japanese colonial period Korea. Please contact us about that.

In order to enhance the quality of our journal, we have set up an editorial board of distinguished scholars and in future papers published in Transactions may be either academic monographs or personal essays, concerning some aspect of the history, culture or nature of Korea. Papers in the two categories will be published in separate sections of each volume. Academic monographs submitted to Transactions will normally be peer-reviewed anonymously by two readers recommended by the Editorial Board.

For full details of format and submission, etc, please refer to the Transactions page http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/Transactions.htm  that is currently lodged in my own home page until a new RASKB home page is launched in the coming weeks. This page also offers a full set of indexes to previous volumes of Transactions.

It is our hope that Transactions can continue to serve as a link between people engaged in the study of things Korean and the members of the RASKB (who receive it free as part of their membership), our members not being scholars but mostly current or former residents of Korea wishing to learn more about the country.

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul
(Chair, RASKB Publications Committee)
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/