[KS] A new Ko Un collection

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Tue Feb 3 21:10:32 EST 2009

I have just received the first copies of "Songs for Tomorrow, A Collection of Poems 1960-2002  by Ko Un" published in LA by Green Integer  --  Green Integer 170, ISBN: 1-933382-70-8,  365 pages (See:  http://www.greeninteger.com/  then go to Complete Catalogue).  It is in the usual GI small pocket-book format and contains translations of nearly 200 poems from virtually every one of Ko Un's collections of poems, although Ten Thousand LIves is mainly represented in another volume of the same series. This book completely replaces the old "The Sound of my Waves" collection from Cornell EAS, long out of print, and many of the poems contained there are included here in radically revised versions.

This book took less time to find a publisher and get published than Ko Un's Little Pilgrim novel (Parallax Press) that took about 12 years, but it has been a very long journey. It was supposed to be published early in 2007 but the typesetter disappeared with the files after a personal drama . . .  The mention of Kim Young-Moo among the translators indicates the book's lengthy history (he died in 2001). The poems have been stylistically polished with the help of Gary Gach, and the stress has therefore been on producing lively English poetry, not precise word-for-word accuracy. Currently, Koreans tend to demand the latter, and might not always be happy with the liberties we have taken. Ah well . . .

The publisher (as usual, a non-profit press, one with a very good list of world writers) asks that people order the book from him, not from online bookstores that deprive him of any profit margin. See the home page for details.

Personally, after so many years of waiting, it is hard to believe that one's work has really been published at last, it all seems such a long time ago. . . I only hope it pleases.

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/