[KS] Query: soft-masculinity and cross-dressing in Korean context

Stephen Epstein Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Jul 29 16:25:53 EDT 2009

Dear Yun Mi,

More on the first point than the second here:

Sun Jung, now on a postdoc at Victoria University in Melbourne, has written on the kkonminam phenomenon here:
http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue20/jung.htm (The Shared Imagination of Bishōnen, Pan-East Asian Soft Masculinity: Reading DBSK, Youtube.com and Transcultural New Media Consumption). A rather different version of the piece will appear in the volume Complicated Currents: Media Flows and Soft Power in East Asia, out in November this year: http://www.epress.monash.edu/forthcoming.html#cc . Her work, however, focuses much more on the transnational reception of the kkonminam than on the Korean socio-political context. More attention to the historical/social context does appear in an Honours thesis at ANU which was written last year on the topic (if you write me directly, I can see whether a copy might be available).

Also, although not (yet!) an academic, James Turnbull has done some very good work on the topic, informed by his reading of scholarship, in his blog The Grand Narrative, which those who are interested in issues of contemporary Korean gender, sexuality and media should certainly check out: http://thegrandnarrative.wordpress.com/  Posts on the topic at hand include:

http://thegrandnarrative.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/backlash-the-role-of-the-asian-financial-crisis-in-the-feminization-of-korean-ideals-of-male-beauty/

and

http://thegrandnarrative.wordpress.com/2009/04/06/koreas-flower-men-wheres-the-beef/

Cheers, Stephen