[KS] Lankov on Korean Nationalism

will pore willpore at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:29:53 EDT 2009

I would like offer a remark in regard to Korean nationalism that I believe
is apropos the insightful comment just posted to the list by Kirk Larsen. My
research on the first generation of Korean and Vietnamese anti-colonial
thinkers cum activists indicated to me that their vision was indeed
particularly and decidedly anti-French and anti-Japanese, yet they were
also, in the manner of other anti-colonial thinkers such as W. B. Yeats and
Tagore at a slightly later time, equally clearly cosmopolitan, i.e. oriented
to the broader learning of their cultural sphere. The Korean and Vietnamese
thinkers I studied, like Yeats and Tagore deeply deplored the narrow
nationalism that later engulfed their countries.

Will Pore

--
William F. Pore, Ph.D.
Visiting  Professor