[KS] Message for members of the Committee on Korean Studies-Association for Asian Studies

Seungsook Moon semoon at vassar.edu
Sun Mar 8 22:07:59 EDT 2009

Dear webmaster:
I am Chair of the CKS-AAS and I'd like to post the following message
for CKS members and Koreanists in general.
Can you kindly post it as soon as possible?

Thank you,
SSM

Notes from the Chair of the Committee on Korean Studies
Seungsook Moon
Associate Professor of Sociology & Director of Asian Studies Program,
Vassar College

As a new chair of the CKS-AAS (April 2008 - March 2010), I would like
to convey a concise report about the status of the CKS and its
renewed activities. First, the CKS is currently in a better position
to strengthen its function as an independent organization that
promotes various interests of its diverse members. For the past
decade, one of major activities of the CKS Executive Board was the
administration of graduate students fellowships funded by the Korea
Foundation but this function moved to a new organization that the
foundation created last academic year (2007-2008). This change
created an impetus for the CKS board to focus on direct communication
with its members to learn more about your professional needs and
interests and provide you with useful resources. Therefore, I would
urge you, individual members, to convey your ideas to the CKS
Executive Board members. Our names (terms of service) and e-mail
addresses are: Seungsook Moon (2007-2010;
<mailto:semoon at vassar.edu>semoon at vassar.edu), Theodore Hughes
(2006-2009; <mailto:th2150 at columbia.edu>th2150 at columbia.edu), Sun Joo
Kim (2006-2009; <mailto:sjkim at fas.harvard.edu>sjkim at fas.harvard.edu),
Janet Poole (2007-2010;
<mailto:janet.poole at utoronto.ca>janet.poole at utoronto.ca), and Jun Yoo
(2006-2009; <mailto:yoojun at hawaii.edu>yoojun at hawaii.edu). The two new
members elected last fall are Donald N. Clark (2008-2011;
<mailto:dclark at trinity.edu>dclark at trinity.edu) and Michael Pettid
(2008-2011; <mailto:mpettid at binghamton.edu>mpettid at binghamton.edu).

Second, there are several projects that the CKS has been involved: 1)
Co-sponsoring the creation of James Palais Book Prize, of which fund
raising is currently on the way. As of December 31, 2008, $12,325 was
raised and an additional $ 7,000 was pledged. The Palais Prize
Committee is actively pursuing the goal of $ 20,000 prior to the 2009
AAS meeting to secure the matching grant from the Korea Foundation.
We thank you for your generous contributions.  2) Efforts to
reestablish the Korean Studies Distinguished Lecturer Series and
reorganize its administration for the effective use of resources. I
was informed that when the Northeast Asia Council (NEAC) submitted
the Korea Foundation 13 Grant (which covers three years from October
1, 2008 to September 30, 2011) in the fall of 2007, this category was
temporarily eliminated because of its underuse during the preceding
years. During the General Meeting of the CKS (open to all members)
held in 2008 AAS meeting in Atlanta, a majority of members who came
to the meeting appeared to support the revival of the series. The
Executive Board agreed to reinstitute the lecture program and has
been discussing the best ways to use it to promote Korean Studies in
the United States. Robert Snow, Development Officer of the AAS, and I
have been working to persuade the Korea Foundation for funding. I
will follow up on this in the next round of communication with you.
3) Organizing a professional workshop or a roundtable session to
mentor junior faculty and graduate students during the annual AAS
meeting (see the list of 2009 AAS panels). 4) Initiating the
establishment of the Korean Studies Dissertation Workshop
administered by the Social Science Research Council with the support
from the Korea Foundation. 5) Facilitating the Hanmun Workshop to be
held in the Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) in S ngnam City, South
Korea, in June-July of 2009. This workshop is designed to support
advanced graduate students and junior scholars in Korean Studies. The
preparation for the workshop has been well underway and we would like
to thank the AKS for its enthusiastic support.

Third, I as the CKS chair continue to collaborate closely with the
NEAC and have been involved in administering four categories of
Korean Studies grants: 1) Research Travel Grants to Korea and North
America, 2) Grants for organizing workshops and conferences, 3)
Grants for enhancing Korean Studies teaching, and 4) Travel Grants to
support graduate students' participation in the AAS. I urge you, CKS
members, to submit strong proposals especially for the Research
Travel Grants. There have been far more applications for spring than
fall. So please plan ahead and submit your proposals in the fall cycle.

Fourth, in the fall 2008 election of the NEAC officers, two
Koreanists were elected (Namhee Lee, UCLA and Clark Sorensen,
University of Washington, Seattle). Along with the current members
(Hyaeweol Choi, Arizona State University and Edward Shultz,
University of Hawaii), they will make four Koreanists represented in
the NEAC. This is good news because Koreanists have reached parity
with Japanologists in terms of representation in the NEAC. I hope
that this continues to be the case. This election result would not
have been possible without active participation from you, CKS
members.  So I urge you to continue your active participation in AAS
elections in the future.

I hope to meet you at the General Meeting of the CKS in Chicago
during 2009 AAS conference. This meeting will be held from 9:00 pm to
11:00 pm in Mississippi Room in Sheraton Hotel on Friday, March 27th.
Please mark your calendar if you attend the annual meeting.

Thank you and best wishes.

Seungsook Moon
Director of Asian Studies;
Associate Professor