[KS] South Korea's Rollback of Democratic Rights

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue May 19 20:25:57 EDT 2009

Dear All:

A few thoughts about Scott's very valid point of
political involvement (in any form, including
journalistic or academic activities) by
non-Koreans in Korea:

05/10/2009, J.Scott Burgeson wrote:
>How long must one live within another culture
>before one is allowed to have an "autonomous"
>voice that is able to engage within local
>discourses and debates? Doesn't the South Korean
>government itself claim to welcome the
>development of contemporary South Korea as a
>"multicultural society"? (...) If one is a
>"white American male" who has lived in Korea for
>15 or 30 years, does a different set of
>standards apply when defining what
>"multicultural Korea" means? Well, let's turn
>the tables around and ask if a "South Korean
>male" who has lived in the US for 15 or 30 years
>is also to be denied a voice there for the very
>same reasons?

Discussing that question might provide us with
tracks leading us to the greater picture of
political culture and globalization in Korea. If
we follow the argumentative strings of Braudel,
Wallerstein, Negri and Hardt, and even Richard
Sennett on this new period of flexible
capitalism, I think it all comes down to our
concept of "citizen" and "citizenship." These
terms seem now to have reached the end of their
life cycle, as we say in software development: no
further upgrades or support will be offered. Yet,
we continue to perform logistical operations with
such outdated code on our global and local hard
drives, thereby running into serious
incompatibility problems. Some argue that it was
the French Revolution which first transformed
subjects into citizens. I would even start
earlier and look at late medieval guilds and city
states. The difference between these two is of
course that the "citizenship" as it was created
by the French Revolution also defined itself
through cultural nationalism, simply because that
group of "free citizens" was now far too large to
find significant other communalities. In any
case, the concept of citizenship only works
through inclusion and exclusion; same as in any
other group valuable privileges are given to
citizens and denied to non-citizens (e.g.
benefits and participation in the welfare state,
nationalist rituals, elections and government). I
do not tell you anything new when pointing out
that from the nation-state's point of view
citizenship became an instrument (and that
starting right after the French Revolution) for
obscuring a great variety of conflicts -- class
conflicts, ethnicity/race conflicts, religious
struggles, gender issues, etc. -- actually the
most essential instrument of the nation building
process! The problem, and here I come back to
Scott's observation, is who to include into one's
"citizenship" group and who not, and for what
reasons. Including *all* will not work: the
concept itself is build upon inclusion and
exclusion. Including all would result in the loss
of privileges for members, and if one extends
that logic the result is the loss of the
nation-state concept as such. (Are we there in
the age of globalization? How does one define
globalization in Korea?) I would argue that the
criteria for inclusion and exclusion are mostly
irrational, arbitrary, and also not following any
linear historical development (which does not
mean that they cannot be explained -- they sure
can).

In between Scott's quoted mail and this reply we
just got another list thread on "Bullying in ROK
Public Schools." Is that not a wonderful example
of this same citizenship conflict? The U.S. and
Canada have adopted a jus soli policy: be born in
the country and you have the right to become a
U.S. or Canadian citizen, but not your parents.
In this case the parents will likely get
deported. Exclusion is a necessity to make the
concept of citizenship work, although it leads to
many ambiguities and paradoxes -- exactly because
of the arbitrariness of inclusion criteria.
Citizenship is one thing, citizen's rights and
discrimination another. The "affirmative action"
programs (there comes your Berkeley, Scott) can
be seen as an attempt to find a (partial)
institutional solution to undo institutional
marginalization. Because of the pre-dominant
liberalism these integration programs worked
well, better than in any other country I know --
of course, only for "citizens." That American
form of liberalism is essential like a closed
system with its circular logic and constant
self-affirmations. But closed systems do work as
long as their is no interference from without.
And in Korea? Neither European nor Asian
countries ever had the momentum to
institutionalize liberalism. Let's not forget
that the new American liberalism, the revised
1968 version of it, is as new and as fragile as
in most other parts of the world. My all time
heroine since I was eleven, the stunningly
elegant Black Jewish dancer and singer Josephine
Baker, attracted the largest imaginable crowds as
well as the top intellectuals in Berlin and
Paris, performing -- stark naked, of course -- in
her erotic-grotesque dance shows. Yet, visiting
New York in 1936 she was not even allowed to
enter her hotel there through the front gate. Not
even Catholics were granted complete and full
privileges as citizens, not until the 1950s ...
you will know even today if you keep your senses
sharpened while strolling around in certain parts
of Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. And in a
country like Switzerland, one of the oldest
picture book democracies of the world, women were
denied to participate in political elections till
1971. These are all cases were, in spite of
citizenship, full privileges were denied -- or,
if you want to put it differently, were there
were sub-groups within citizenship. South Korea
had less than twenty years to build a democracy,
and there was hardly any middle class until the
1980s, and other than U.S. Military personal
there was no significant group of non-Koreans
living in Korea. To be inclusive towards
non-Koreans as regards to the group of citizens
with their political rights while at the same
time still being busy to catch up in terms of
nation building and trying to "look globalized"
is juggling just too many eggs at once.
Liberalism & citizenship is already a
conceptional paradox in the so-called old and new
world democracies. Why should and how could Korea
have a better solution? (By the way, Sheila
Miyoshi Jager's book Narratives of Nation
Building in Korea has some good texts discussing
such paradoxes.)

Coda:
Two years ago, while in Seoul, Min Paek told me
about a conference she had just participated in.
"They all shouted 'segyehwa manse!'" she said,
"isn't that so ironic?!" "Segyehwa" is then most
obviously not the same as "globalization." No
wonder then, this year's conference uses the
slogan "han'guk ûi segyehwa wa segye ûi
han'gukhwa." Well, well, ... have to run now, see
my therapist to explain this.

Frank