[KS] The Romanization issue

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Wed May 27 21:39:23 EDT 2009

I would like to ask members of this list who object to the current Korean government romanization system to help me by providing a succint but detailed list of the main aspects which they consider to be flawed or problematic (obviously the use of eo and eu to represent non-diphthongs is already noted), with an indication of why they consider this or that aspect to be a problem in making things Korean accessible to non Korean speakers. I am not inviting yet another debate on the list about this issue, and hope that people might send me their comments off-list directly to ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr  These comments will help me give advice when it is asked for, as it seems it may be.

Brother Anthony (Professor An Sonjae)
Sogang University, Seoul
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/