[KS] Condolences over the passing of former President Roh Moo Hyun

sarah domingo sarahpot27 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:23:31 EDT 2009

To my dearest Korean Professors, friends, colleagues and fellow Korea
Studies scholars,

My sincerest condolences over the untimely death of your former President,
Roh Moo Hyun. For me who has been watching Korea from the outside,
the death of Mr. Roh is both a cause of surprise and a source of lingering
questions
about the state and trajectory of Korean democracy. As in any story
-- tragic or otherwise -- there will always be two sides, if not multiple
versions and interpretations of facts, around which human life
unfolds and revolves. While I personally grieve this tragic moment,
I do appreciate Korea's own way of making democratic processes work
as well your nation's ability to unite and forgive even at this time
of crisis. At any rate, I wish that Korea, more than anything, will see this
as 'kairos',
as an opportune time to rethink and reflect on the current state of things
in your nation
to be able to move forward, perhaps not at all swiftly but hopefully
smoothly.

In solidarity,
Sarah Domingo
University of the Philippines