[KS] militarization and cultural impact on Korea

Theodore Hughes th2150 at columbia.edu
Wed Nov 18 11:00:20 EST 2009

Dear Anne,

In addition to Tobias's excellent suggestions, I would also recommend
three other important works, two academic studies and, in my view, the
best novel on Korea written in English: Seungsook Moon's  Militarized
Modernity and Gendered Citizenship in South Korea (Duke University
Press, 2005); Katharine Moon's Sex Among Allies: Military Prostitution
in U.S.-South Korea Relations (Columbia University Press, 1997); and
Heinz Insu Fenkl's novel/auto-ethnography, Memories of My Ghost
Brother (originally published in 1997 and now available from Bo-Leaf,
2005).

Wishing you the best with your research,

Ted Hughes

--
Theodore Hughes
Assistant Professor of Modern Korean Literature

Tel: (212) 854-8545
Fax: (212) 678-8629