[KS] Seo Giwon's "The Ma Rok Biographies" and Chinese Anecdotes

STARR D.F. d.f.starr at durham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 8 05:13:36 EDT 2009

Dear Professor Montgomery,

The horse / deer analogy is certainly used in classical Chinese sources to contrast the superficially impressive but actually useless (deer) with the less flashy but really useful (horse). Wang Chong (Han) in his Fei Han pian (Critique of Han Feizi)cites Han Feizi saying a horse that resembles a deer (i.e. fleet of foot)can be worth 1000 in gold, but there are no deer worth that. Wang Chong compares useless Confucian scholars to deer and useful state officials to horses.

Don Starr
Durham University