[KS] The Mystery of the Breve

Donald Baker dbaker at interchange.ubc.ca
Sun Sep 13 11:28:27 EDT 2009

I use a Mac rather than Windows, so I am much more comfortable using
breves than Brother Anthony is. Anytime I want to use a breved vowel,
I simply go to the "character palette," which I can easily access via
the language menu on the top of my screen (one of the first things I
do when I get a new Mac is install the breved vowels in the favorites
panel in the character palette.)  All I have to do is highlight the
breved vowel and click the insert button. The vowel with the breve
above it the appears in my email, word-processing documents, etc. Of
course, sometimes those who receive my emails or read electronic
versions of my papers get a strange mark instead of the intended
vowel, but it's not my fault if they don't use a Mac!  (Actually,
Unicode should work on any platform to reveal those breves.) Also, I
can insert vowels with breves into search engines. Unfortunately,
those search engines don't always recognize the difference between a
vowel with a breve and the same vowel without (though quite a few
library search engines do recognize that difference).

To answer Brother Anthony's question, most of the time I don't find it
particularly troublesome to use breves. And I find them more useful
than the alternative in highlighting the difference between o and ŏ,
and between u and ŭ (I hope you can read the second character in each
of those pairs.)

Don Baker

Donald Baker
Department of Asian Studies