[KS] The Mystery of the Breve

Stephen Epstein Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz
Sun Sep 13 20:14:12 EDT 2009

If I may jump in here in response to Frank and
Otfried's posts on the basis of a lot of
practical experience with web publishing and
communicating with multiple users in the last
decade as a result of Korean Studies Review and
other projects.

In principle I agree with Frank: the issue of
breves SHOULD really not be a problem. In
practice, however,  I concur 100% with Otfried.
The operative word here is precisely that
idealizing SHOULD, where all computers users are
fully clued up on what to do in order to
read/write breves regardless of what computer
they are working on at any given moment and then
implement those changes. The variety and relative
complexity (and this need be no more than having
to input an alt key to produce the diacritic) of
solutions offered to deal with the issue offer
ample indication that in the real world in which
we actually operate, the problem will continue to
plague us for a while to come--and that's even
among people who take the issue seriously.

In knocking files back and forth over the years
with reviewers for KSR, I've found that,
unfortunately, far too frequently breves don't
survive as intended for whatever reasons of
platform mismatch or moving from e-mail to MS
Word to the web or any combination thereof. I've
seen it happen that even when breves have worked
in communication with the reviewer while
preparing the review that they have then become
garbled upon publication on KSR if I have to put
up the review or reread it, as often, while
traveling. To give two separate examples
involving electronic publishing from 2009: I'm
co-editing a volume for the electronic publishing
wing  (the electronic wing, mind you, who you
would expect to be the most clued up) of a major
university press, and we were informed that their
software would not be able to handle breves, so
we were faced with the choice of having
contributors convert all their Mc-R breves to
circumflexes or going with the 2000 RR system.
Similarly, an article I published in Japan Focus
was fine when it first went out on the web--but
Japan Focus redid their website and, voila, in
their conversion to new URLs and probably with
other changes as well, all my diacritics turned
to garbage (or to be more precise, variations on
the usual odd characters that I've never seen
before: e.g Mount KÇ"mgang  and saet'Å?min ).
I've requested correction, but the editors are
busy and understandably have other priorities, so
the errors remain, which also highlights that we
don't have full control over how our material
will appear, regardless of how painstaking we
have been.

Let's posit, as an arbitrary date, that these
issues will indeed be fully solved by 2020 even
for "non-informed users."  ("Next couple of
years", I fear, is far too optimistic). Frank, to
use your metaphor in your response to Otfried:
it's going to be a very long hangover--all that
Advil in the meantime may result in some serious
gastrointestinal side effects, and it'd be nice
to give our stomachs something a tad gentler.....

All best to everyone and with thanks for
interesting and important discussion, Stephen