[KS] The Mystery of the Breve

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Mon Sep 14 05:29:38 EDT 2009

Otfried, thanks for the clarification. I now
better understand the point/s you are making.
Your Netherlands, German 'sz' (ß), and Amazon.com
examples did somewhat confuse me before reading
your additional explanations.

You also say:
>>   These are _not_ purely technical problems.

Well, YES, that was the MAIN point I was trying
to make. These are issues of IMPLEMENTATION and
USAGE of both, international technical standards
(mostly in Korea itself) and romanization systems.

Let me ask you then: How can it be that the
Hepburn romanization system for Japanese has
worked so well for the past 120 years for Japan?
It uses macrons over o and u, not present in
standard Latin fonts either. Japanese have
passports too and may once in a while order books
at Amazon.com or use a Visa card to do shopping.
I seriously do not know the answer, but my best
hunch would be that those "extra" accents would
simply be left out whenever it is anticipated
that they might create problems with American or
other international services such as postal
delivery or order systems. But they are useful in
academic texts, for example. Are there any hidden
faculties that let the Japanese master Kanji,
Katakana, Hiragana, and the Hepburn romanization
system all together, while Koreans are dropping
Hanja, and do not stick to any romanization
system whatsoever? I would find that hard to
believe. There may ba many pros and cons about
all kind of aspects for all possible romanization
systems, including McC-R and the current SK
government system, but I do neither see any
technical reasons to use one or the other nor is
the "simple" vs. "complicated" reasoning very
convincing. No concerted effort, no concerted
outcome, whatever is being used.

By the way, it is not that McC-R would not have
been implemented at all in Korea (although not
anymore the official transcription system): try
for example searching the most popular Korean
search engine http://naver.com for any terms,
place names or name in McC-R and you will find
that both search terms with brèves and results
will come up just fine -- same as German words
and names with "sz" (ß) will come up in Swiss
search engines such as http://www.search.ch.

You further write:
>>  In my opinion, the fact that Koreanists in 1999 were so
>>  adamant that this was all a technical issue that (a) was
>>  already solved, or (b) would be solved shortly, or (c) would
>>  be solved in due course, was the main reason that their input
>>  was greatly ignored - every Korean who had used an overseas
>>  web site knew better, and they were just making up their
>>  own romanization on the spot.

This opinion is based on what information?
Does anyone have an indication to think that this
played any role in the decision making process?
(I very much doubt it did.)

Best wishes,
Frank