[KS] William Joseph Gane

Frank Joseph Shulman fshulman at umd.edu
Sat Sep 19 20:03:51 EDT 2009

The following information about William Joseph Gane's Ph.D. dissertation and M.A. thesis may be helpful by way of response to the posting entitled "Look for info on U.S. military government in Korea publication and its author".  The bibliographical entry is an excerpt from my nearly completed, multivolume reference work, "A Century of Doctoral Dissertations on Korea, 1903-2004: An Annotated Bibliography of Studies in Western Languages".

GANE, William Joseph  (1920-1959).

Foreign Affairs of South Korea, August 1945 to August 1950.  Northwestern University [United States], 1951 (Ph.D. in Political Science).  Chairperson/Adviser: Kenneth W. Colegrove.  vi, 444, 1p.  Abstract published in Northwestern University. Graduate School. Summaries of Doctoral Dissertations Submitted to the Graduate School of Northwestern University, Volume 19, 1951 (Evanston, Ill.: Northwestern University): 352-57.

Gane, a military officer in Korea following the country's liberation, focused on the activities of the foreign office of the U.S. Army Military Government in South Korea (e.g., its relations with North Korea, SCAP, and Japan), United Nations efforts to secure unity and independence for all of Korea, and SCAP's (Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers) supervision over Korean affairs between 1945 and 1948.  Central to his investigation were the following five hypotheses: (a) "The U.S. Command made a sincere effort to promote unity and independence, but such efforts were destroyed by Soviet intransigence". (b) SCAP tended to view Korean-Japanese relations from the Japanese perspective. (c) "The U.S. continued its efforts to secure unity and independence for Korea after the termination of the Military Government in 1948". (d) "UN efforts to promote Korea's unity and independence were nullified by the deliberate obstruction of the U.S.S.R. and North Korea. (e) The Taehan Minguk (D!
!
aehan Minguk) established a reasonably stable and democratic regime under Syngman Rhee that was worthy of recognition as an independent state".

Table of Contents: Introduction.  Part One: Foreign Problems of the Occupation.  1. Foreign Problems of the Occupation.  2. Japanese in USAMGIK [United States Army Military Government in Korea] Administration.  3. Repatriation of Japanese Nationals.  4. Conclusion of Japanese Problems in Korea.  5. USAMGIK Relations with North Korea.  6. USAMGIK Relations with SCAP [Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers] in Japan.  7. New Problems of Korean-Japanese Relations.  8. USAMGIK-Chinese Relations in Korea.  9. Korean Situation in China and Manchuria.  10. USAMGIK Affairs in China and Manchuria.  Part Two: The Question of Korean Unity and Independence.  11. The Struggle for Korean Unity.  12. Korean Issue Comes before the General Assembly.  13. The United Nations Temporary Commission.  14. Observation of the First Korean General Election.  15. The United Nations Commission on Korea.  16. Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea.  17. North Korea Wages War.  18. Conclusion.  Bibliogr!
!
aphy: pp.415-44.

Related Master's thesis: "Repatriation in Korea", by William J. Gane. M.A. in Political Science, Northwestern University, 1950. 157p.  Note: Gane was also the author of Repatriation from 25 September 1945 to 31 December 1945. Seoul: Military Governor, 1946. 97, 66p.

I might add that the Library of Congress has two (2) cataloged copies of the 1946 imprint.  Please see: http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v3=1&ti=1,1&SEQ=20090919194916&Search%5FArg=gane%20william&Search%5FCode=GKEY%5E%2A&CNT=100&type=quick&PID=NC3UOA_0oyefqtjLruUHcf5HW_3rCc4&SID=1

Best wishes,

Frank Joseph Shulman

September 19, 2009

Frank Joseph Shulman
Bibliographer, Editor and Consultant for Reference Publications in Asian Studies
9225 Limestone Place
College Park, Maryland 20740-3943 (U.S.A.)
E-mail:  fshulman at umd.edu