[KS] An Emerging Issue: English Language Teaching and Human Rights

Jeremy M. Kritt jmkritt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 10:42:08 EDT 2009

Hello everyone! I just wanted to follow-up on my comments about some of the
problems facing foreign English language teachers in South Korea that I
recently made on the EPIK discussion thread.

As many of you may know, Eric Wagner, a visiting legal scholar at Kyunghee
University, is pressuring the National Human Rights Commission of Korea to
review 'discriminitory' visa procedures aimed at foreign English language
teachers. Apparently one case is currently before The Constitutional Court
of Korea regarding this issue.

I would like to direct the readers of this listserv to go to
http://2009hunma358.blogspot.com/2009/09/1.html for more information.
Wagner's arguments are compelling and merit attention.

>From a Korean Studies perspective, I find it interesting to see how the
Korean legal system is increasingly being used by foreigners who demand fair
and equal treatment under the The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms
of Racial Discrimination ratified by The National Assembly. This can only be
a trend that will increase over time as the number of foreigners living and
working in Korea continues to rise.
As Korean society becomes a more dynamic
and multi-ethnic/national reality, it will be interesting to see how things
like this develop.

What do members of this listserv think about this?

Sincerely,

Jeremy M. Kritt