[KS] Monthly magazine "Neva" - special Korean issue

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Sun Apr 11 14:50:08 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my Russian colleague, Dr. Lee San Youn (St.Petersburg,
Herzen Pedagogical University), I am glad to inform you that the special
issue of an authoritative literary journal, <Neva> (issue 3, 2010)
devoted almost exclusively to the modern and contemporary Korean
literature, was just published. Its content, in its entirety, is
available on the net (http://magazines.russ.ru/neva/2010/3/), so the
Russian-speaking colleagues may click the link and enjoy reading Pak
WansO's <KU salbOlhaettOn nal Ui Halmikkot>, or Sin KyOngsuk's <P'unggUm
i ittOn chari> in Russian translation. The issue was generously
sponsored by the Korean Literature Translation Institute, and much of
the organizational work was shouldered by Dr. Lee San Youn, something
all our Russian colleagues are deeply grateful to her for. I assume that
all those interested in acquiring a copy, should contact Neva's
editorial office through their homepage
(http://www.nevajournal.spb.ru/). It is a journal which used to publish
such Soviet literary stars as M.Sholokhov or V.Bykov, so a special issue
almost wholly devoted to the Korean prose should be an important
milestone on the way to Korean literature's "mainstreamization" in the
Russophone literary space. 1990s-2000s saw publications of a number of
important translations from modern and contemporary Korean literature
into Russian (notably, Kim SowOl's poetry and Ch'oe Inhun's <Kwangjang>
were published in Russian - and I judge the translations as very
successful), but they seemed to generate comparatively little interest
outside of the Korean Studies circles so far.

Vladimir Tikhonov/Pak Noja
--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html