[KS] Song of Ariran

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Thu Aug 19 21:31:12 EDT 2010

Song of Ariran : a Korean Communist in the Chinese revolution [by] Nym Wales (Helen Foster Snow) and Kim San (Jang Ji-rak). Foreword and notes by George O. Totten. 1941 1972
>From time to time this book is mentioned in bibliographies etc, it is clearly a very interesting work (Helen Snow was the wife of Edgar Snow)  but it is unfortunately out of print, no scanned version can be found online, and the cheapest copy available second-hand is nearly $50, going up to $420. George O. Totten prepared a new edition prior to his death last year, and it was supposed to be published by University of Washington Press but they tell me that they no longer plan to go ahead. If ever someone was interested in publishing the revised (annotated) new version, the rights are controlled by:
Dr. Russell Taylor
Chair
Special Collections
Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
P.O. Box 26800
Provo, UT 84602-6800

I just thought I would mention it. There is a Korean translation available ("Arirang: Kim San") which I believe is very popular.

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/