[KS] inquiry of Koryo period during the Yuan period

epa at sas.upenn.edu epa at sas.upenn.edu
Sun Dec 19 20:16:40 EST 2010

Dear Junghee,

I assume that you're familiar with the nature of Koryo-Yuan relations.
As far as the maps go, every U.S.-produced maps showing the
Mongol/Yuan empire seems to show Koryo simply as a part of the empire.
It's something I remember noticing in the early 1980's when I was a
kid who had just arrived from South Korea, and I have detected no
change over the years. It's interesting to note that the Russian
principalities that were submitting tributes to the Mongols/Golden
Horde usually turn up "shaded" on American-made historical maps--thus
giving the viewer an impression that the entities were nominally
autonomous but practically parts of the empire.

Regards,
Gene

--
Eugene Y. Park
Korea Foundation Associate Professor of History