[KS] Joseon-era official terms

James B. Lewis jay.lewis at orinst.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 30 23:09:39 EST 2010

This list from Brother Anthony looks like the oldest such list prepared
in English by Ed Wagner as an Appendix to his Ph.D., but it appears to
have been modified by applying the current ROK romanisations.

Wagner's appendix, Palais' glossary from his study of Yu Hyongwon, terms
from Palais' Ph.D. publication on the 19th century, terms from
Deuchler's Confucian Transformation, the glossary from the English
translation of Tasan's Mongmin simseo (English title: Admonitions on
Governing the People), and others have either been incorporated into the
AKS online glossary or are in process now or have been submitted for
inclusion. You'll note that for certain terms, familiar attributions
appear as notes. But, the inclusion of these terms from our publications
is not being taken at face value and terms are being filtered through
experts in various fields with the intention of determining accuracy, so
there will be differences. I don't really know what Don means by
'standard translations', but I think he is referring to relying on one
glossary or the other. Because the AKS has this wonderful online
resource to which they are devoting resources, I think it behooves us to
try and make it the 'standard' source for translations that will be
available everywhere to anybody online. It would help if we users of
these translations could have some recourse to feedback, and that's why
I suggested we make efforts to ask that feedback and submission pages be
written into the coding.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a history of the AKS
devoting resources to compiling authoritative glossaries:

--Song, KiJoong, comp. Basic Glossary of Korean Studies. Seoul: Korea
Foundation, 1993.
--Song Ki-joong, comp. Glossary of Korean Culture, Seoul: Chimundang, 2001.

The 1993 glossary uses the Mc-R system.

Happy New Year to all!

Yours,
Jay Lewis