[KS] Divinity of the Kims?

Syd S sydshi at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 10:51:55 EST 2010

I would agree with many of these observations.  In short:

1. Juche is a worldview that could be categorized as a philosophy, ruling ideology, and belief system only to the degree that the metaphysical is denied in its purest form (thus atheistic by nature), or at least marginalized as being irrelevant (in its milder, more agnostic nature).  I will save myself a quick check of the wikipedia entry on religion, but it seems to me that a major criterion for being a "religion" needs to be some metaphysical dimension.

2.  The Kims are credited with near-omniscient and omnipotent capabilities (although post-stroke propaganda has hinted at fallibilities and frailities), but stops short of calling either Kim a "god," strictly speaking.

3.  I would be less forward-leaning in ascribing an intent of granting divinity to KIS in the formulation "KIS is with us for eternity."  Here, the recipients of the message must be considered.  First, one can "worship" people or objects of affection without an implied divinity in the object of worship, and this is how I tend to the view the North Korean's "reverence" toward KIS.  Second, the DPRK people were certainly aware that KIS was a mortal man.  He may be "larger than life" in the thoughts and lives of the North Korean people, but again there is no metaphysical dimension here that suggests the Spirit/Ghost of Kim is alive today giving on-the-spot guidance visits, though the spirit (small s) of Kim will always be cited and remembered.

Just a few simple thoughts . . .  Syd Seiler