[KS] Afanasii Ivanovich Seridin-Sabatin

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Feb 19 20:29:28 EST 2010

I hope that the way you spell your grandfather's name in your message (Seridin-Sabatin) is a one-off error? I can find a lot of references to him (116)  doing a Google search with the spelling  Afanasij Ivanovich Seredin Sabatin (375 if you omit the first name which has various spellings), including this article in the "JoongAng Daily" from last December: http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2914115  which reminds us that he was probably the only Western witness present at the murder of the Empress Myeongseong. It would certainly be good to know if there are longer published studies of his life and his Korean buildings. Did he leave any diaries etc?

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Korea
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/