[KS] help with the correct romanization of Korean government system

Junghee Lee dilj at pdx.edu
Mon Feb 22 21:56:31 EST 2010

Dear members,

I would like to know what should I consult or whom should I contact to
check the correct romanization approved by the government of Korea.

I e-mailed the Academy of Korean Sciences but a staff did not seem to
know himself what is the proper way. It did not get me to any place. I
also consulted the books published by the Academy of Korean Studies, but
it did not seem to reflect the changes supposed to occur with pronunciation.
For example, 발해, a book published by the Academy of Korean Studies
book is written as Balhae. I saw a Chinese publication that romanize as
Barhae in Korean and (Bohai in Chinese).
Do we treat 삼국유사's author 일연 as the person's name so need to write
as Ilyeon or
should it be written as Iryeon reflecting the pronunciation?
How about the location names that are pronounced differently than what
is written in Korean?

I would like to know whether there is any website that lists all the
important examples in this system, or whether there is any e-mail
contact of the person who is in charge of the current romanization
system of the Korean government.

Your help will be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Junghee Lee