[KS] Bill Skillend

jimhoare64 at aol.co.uk jimhoare64 at aol.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 08:18:22 EST 2010

I had not met him for some years - I think that he had stopped going out - but I did have some correspondence with him, and the occasional telephone call.

He could indeed be grumpy and was conscious of what he felt were slights, but he was also kind and helpful; many Korean scholars and their families could testify to that.
He did not only concentrate on shijo. For many years, he waded through the DPRK press - no easy task before the internet - and produced summaries that appeared in the Anglo-Korean Society Bulletin; they can still be useful as a short cut, though I expect now not many people have collections of the old bulletins. He also wrote the occasional article on the DPRK, again derived from this reading.
When he retired, he got read of his Korean library and seemed to stop taking much interest in things Korean. He later said that he had regretted this and the resulting cut off from colleagues and friends but felt that it was too late to start again.

Jim Hoare