[KS] Religious terms

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Sat Jan 16 23:29:01 EST 2010

Quote, Brother Anthony:

>I have just been translating a fun story by Shin
>Chae-Ho about 2 dragons and God where God is
>called Sangje which is not only the oldest and
>most common Chinese name (Shangdi) for what most
>people mean by 'God'   but is also said  (by
>Naver) to have been used by the earliest
>Catholic missionaries in China. Can anyone tell
>me if it was ever used by any Christian missions
>in Korea? It is still used by some Chinese
>Protestants, while others prefer Shen and in
>Korea is the name used for the God of the
>CheungSanDo.

Delighted to see a Man of Christ classifying Sin
Ch'ae-ho's Terroristic Anarchist story as "fun
story" -- but YES, agreed, it sure is a fun story
to read. :) (I appreciate your humor.) Sin wrote
it in Beijing in 1928 and signed with one of his
many pseudonyms, Yônsi'mongin (Beijing Dreamer),
short before being caught by the Japanese
authorities in May of the same year on his
passage to Taiwan, having 12,000 Yuan in
counterfeit foreign bills with him to establish a
bomb manufactory. The story was probably never
published in Korean -- not until the North
Koreans published it in 1966 in a Han'gûl
version. Or if it was published, then most likely
in China, and probably in a Chinese language
version. This is important when discussing Sin's
use of sangje / shangdi. In my own 1995 German
translation (online here:
http://koreaweb.ws/sinchaeho/) of this story I
used "Himmlischer Vater" ("Heavenly Lord"), which
is intentionally more ambivalent, addressing
Christianity as well as Chinese religious
thought. In the 1920s Sin was closely associated
with Chinese anarchists such as Li Shizeng, Cai
Yuanpei, and even Ba Jin (I have sources for the
relation to Ba) -- was also a member of the Union
of Korean Anarchists in China (Chae Chunggug
Chosôn Mujôngbujuûija Yônmaeng). But most
documents indicate that he was more active within
Chinese circles since the mid-1920s (under many
different pseudonyms), which included
journalistic activities in Chinese language
publications. His _Yonggwa yongûi tae'gyôkchôn_
is by all means in all ideological aspects the
most evolved literary example of Terroistic
Anarchism that one can find in both Chinese and
Korean literature. It targets, among other
things, religion per se. Sangje or shangdi does
therefore not only refer to Christianity,
although he does of course have clear references
to Jesus and figures and stories from the Bible.
He does not miss his chance to clarify early on
that Confucius and Buddha are nothing but thieves
and suppressors as well. Sangje or shangdi really
just gives him a face for the hierarchical system
of suppression and abuse through religions, all
religions. And again, Sin might well have written
the story first in Chinese with a young Chinese
readership in mind -- that at least would fit
into his working environment during the second
half of the 1920s. One should also not
underestimate Sin's literacy: by the 1920s he had
read all the French, Russian, and German
communists and anarchists, and most likely also
excerpts of Max Weber on religion. Whatever his
choice of vocabulary at the time, it was not
informed by Korean sources anymore but was truly
up-to-date and international.

Best wishes,
Frank