[KS] Request, re: Korean Studies in Toronto

Andre Schmid andre.schmid at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 12 09:39:19 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

We are writing to you with some unfortunate news concerning
institutional developments at the University of Toronto, developments
which threaten the future of our Korean Studies program. Last week, it
was announced that the Department of East Asian Studies, which
provides the core for our graduate program in Korean Studies, is to be
dismantled.  A small part of the department will be reallocated to a
new School of Language and Literature while the rest of the faculty
members will be dispersed among other disciplinary departments.  This
momentous decision was made without prior notice or consultation,
despite its overwhelming importance to many of us in Toronto.   At a
time when the University of Toronto has been able to develop a vibrant
and multi-faceted Korean Studies program, the home of that program –
the Dept. of East Asian Studies – is about to be eliminated. This, of
course, will have severe repercussions for our growing graduate
studies programme.

  We are hoping to reverse this decision and in this struggle are
seeking your support.  Many of us in the department – and especially
in the Korean Studies programme – would appreciate if you assist us in
expressing our opposition to this move by writing a letter to our Dean
at the following address (with an electronic copy for our records to
our current interim Chair, Prof. Tom Keirstead
tom.keirstead at utoronto.ca).

Prof. Meric Gerler, Dean

University of Toronto

Faculty of Arts & Science

100 St. George Street

Toronto, ON CANADA M5S 3G3

(officeofthedean.artsci at utoronto.ca)

We would be most happy to answer any of your questions and would be
very appreciate of your support.

Sincerely,

Juhn Ahn

Kyoungnok Ko