[KS] Unstoppable English - Korea and Japan make English Official (못말리는 영어)

kc Kim kc.kim2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 23:20:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

I would like to comment on just two of the points you make:
that "the Japanese were not irrational enough" and that
"Korean schools have little to do with English proficiency"

First about being crazy:
___________________

I absolutely agree here, but I am inclined to see this more as being a
complimentary remark.  I think Korea has to be given credit for being
"crazy" enough to take the risks and try new approaches, even when
there were obvious negatives.

The saying in Korean is "미처야 미친다," or "You have to be richly mad
to reach your mad  goals."   And given that every other previous methods
failed to provide desired proficiency in English(drilling in grammar,
traditional language teaching methods, etc), I think Koreans have to be given
credit for having been willing to take the risks and for trying many
and different
approaches to achieve English proficiency.

They've succeeded while the Japanese in their "insufficient madness" have
not. Perhaps the limits of even the best laid blueprint of plan of
action has to
be recognized and give due credit to "being crazy" when all else fail.

As to the negatives, I think they have to be seen as the fallout from
the process
of learning by trial and error, and certainly of manageable scale when the
surrounding environment is supportive.  In this regard, I see the effort by the
Koreans to embrace multiculturalism as really praiseworthy.  As I see it,
the Korean government and society is not just giving lip service in promoting
this effort. They are serious and I think good benefits will flow from it as it
faces the challenges of changing demographics and greater flow of
people and ideas as the borders become more open as trade volume increase.

About schools having nothing to do with it:
___________________________________

This point seems to echo an earlier observation about how most of the
near-native foreign speakers of Korean did not learn it in school by
Ross King.  Just as the Western university developed programs have
failed to successfully, in most cases, teach Korean, the same seems
to be true for teaching English and what has come of orthodox
methodologies coming out of Japan and Korea universitieis.

Perhaps the experiences and practices of the more innovative Hagwons
and successful kirogi families should be examined and studied more closely,
instead of being only ridiculed or attacked.

Regards,

Joobai Lee

7/13/2010