[KS] Return to Established Practice or A Brave New World......?

Kye C Kim kc.kim2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 03:11:13 EDT 2010

Hi,

Even while feeling somewhat self-conscious at responding
AGAIN  to my OWN initial posting, with not many interested,
I hope you will forgive me with generous indulgence.

First, I would like to correct the mis-attribution of the
statements to Prof Frankl.  It should have been correctly
attributed to the former dean.

Having responded to two of former dean's points, I realized
that Prof Frankl had put forth just too many interesting and
provocative ideas of his own on the table to just simply let
them pass by.

In mulling over Prof. Frankl's "random but not unrelated
thought," I found them intriguing and seemingly filled with
possibilities and interesting ramifications. I have to admit
that ethnic chauvinism was my almost instinctive response.
He is American, a foreigner, and I am a Korean.  I was
almost sure that I could see better, because I was  closer.
I have to wonder if the reverse is not the truth.  He may
see more clearly precisely because he can distance
himself further than I can.  Mulling over his comments,
I think this is the case.

I wondered why his comments were stirring so many
thoughts on my end and wondered if I shouldn't jot them
down and send it to the list.

But after mulling over his comments and mulling over
my own reactions, this is what I found was the thing
that I wanted to say.

I want to thank Prof Frankl for his bravery, frankness,
forthrightness, and honesty in his observations, for
putting distance between himself and Korea as every
good observer should( I couldn't)

I think, by any measure, this is real value: Thanks
for being a FOREIGNER and a KOREANIST.
.
Regards,

Joobai Lee