[KS] Korean vocalizing

liora donskoy umsinai at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 03:20:57 EDT 2010

Dear Jonathan,

The hikers that you heard might have been practicing amateur p'ansori.  You can find more information about this art in the wonderful book

Voices from the Straw Mat: Toward an Ethnography of Korean Story Singing, by Chan E. Park. Hawai‘i: University of Hawai‘i Press, 2003 .

This link takes you to a review that appeared in Acta Koreana

http://koreaweb.ws/ks/ksr/ksr06-13.htm

You can also watch a version of it in the film: Sopyonje (Seopyeonje) (1993)

Best wishes,

Liora Sarfati