[KS] drumming in traditional Korean music

Lauren Deutsch lwdeutsch at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 29 21:57:20 EDT 2010

Don Kim @ UCLA ethnomusicology should be able to help
http://www.uclaprofessors.com/professors/ethnomu/kimdonald-dongsuk/?page=2
--
Lauren W. Deutsch
835 S. Lucerne Blvd., #103
Los Angeles CA 90005
Tel 323 930-2587  Cell 323 775-7454
E lwdeutsch at earthlink.net

From: "Hilary V. Finchum-Sung" <finchumsung at snu.ac.kr>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:35:13 +0900 (KST)
To: <hsj24 at cam.ac.uk>, Korean Studies Discussion List
<koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>
Subject: Re: [KS] drumming in traditional Korean music

Dear Hae-Sung:

I'm assuming you're looking for sources in English.  Keith Howard has
written quite a bit on folk drumming. Nathan Hesselink's  _P'ungmul_ is a
great resource on p'ungmulnori.  Both Howard and Hesselink include
information on training, patterns, and aesthetics in their work.

For information on p'ansori, kagok, sijo accompaniment, many of the sources
in English (Music of Korea or any similar introductory compilation) include
information on drum accompaniment.

Korean sources, such as traditional music theory books, would be a good
place to look initially.  To look more closely at the aesthetics of drum
accompaniment, a search for Korean sources focusing on well-known
accompanists might help.

I'm not aware of sources that detail the training of drummers for court
genres like sijo or for p'ansori accompaniment.  Perhaps someone else on the
list might know.

Best,
Hilary Finchum-Sung

Assistant Professor