[KS] Korean education and literacy during the colonial era

Kay Richards Gmail richards.kyungnyun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 01:37:17 EDT 2010

If you have access to Handbook of Korea, written by Chae Kyung Oh and
published by Pageant Press, Inc of New York, in 1958, you will find a
chapter on Education on pp147-172.  It documents number of students in
primary(elemendary) and secondary schools, and colleges.  You will find
statistics of pre-liberation years (1910-1939) to mid 1950s.  It does not
give percentages, but judging by the raw figues given of the increase in
students in1945-47, 5% seems very low.  The number of children (ages 6-11)
in school given for 1956 is 3,239,968 which represents 91.02 % of total
school age children.

Although this book is dated, because it was published in 1958 when the facts
were fairly recent and therefore it has a better chance of being accurate.
I am sure there are many other sources where you will find more information,
but reading your question reminded me of an old source I happened to have
handy.

Kay Richards
Ms. Kyung-Nyun Kim Richards
Lecturer/Coordinator (Ret.)
Korean Program
Dept. of East Asian Languages & Cultures
3413 Dwinelle Hall
U.C. Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2230
U.S.A.