[KS] Critical Analysis regarding the Iconography of "Mother"

Eun Jung Park Smith ejsmith at ucsd.edu
Sun Oct 3 01:43:11 EDT 2010

I am writing a chapter in my dissertation regarding the iconography of
"mother" in modern and contemporary Korean and Korean American art.  I was
wondering if there is anyone out there that is working on a similar subject
or have come across sources that engages "umma" in a critical way.  In some
ways, "umma" functions as the personification of the hope for a reunified
Korea like in Nam June Paik's last video installation entitled, Mother
(2006), or it serves as the personification of han in film and literature -
the figure of the mother waiting for a son that will never return.  Please
direct me to sources to cross-reference my art historical analysis because
supportive claims from sources other than my own conjecture, seems rather
slim at this point.

Thank you,

Eun Jung Park Smith
PhD Candidate, Visual Art Theory & Criticism
University of California, San Diego

Art History Instructor
Design Institute of San Diego