[KS] Kim and Washington

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Mon Oct 4 15:25:54 EDT 2010

Thanks George. In the first 'quick draft' of my
last email to the list I had included a joking
remark that Jane Portal could then hang Sully's
Washington battle scene together with the Kim &
Kim painting, just the way you presented them.
(We met in Vienna last month.) *But* I then
"corrected" myself as I thought what was the
'famous' Sully piece at the MFA was the one
entitled "Washington Crossing the Delaware" --
see here, about 2/3 down the page:
http://www.artexpertswebsite.com/pages/artists/sully.php

------ q u o t e (from above URL) ------
Sully was commissioned to create a full length
portrait of George Washington and instead,
painted a massive historical scene of Washington
crossing the Delaware. This is considered to be
his most famous painting, though at the time, it
cost Sully a great deal of frustration and
expense. The patron that originally commissioned
this piece from him found it too large and Sully
was left with this massive composition and no one
to buy it. This painting is now housed at the
Museum of Fine arts in Boston.

------------------------------------

Now, looking at the MFA website link you just
provided, this above website obviously puts the
wrong image for the text that goes with it! The
more famous Sully painting was obviously "The
Passage of the Delaware" (as mentioned in the
description). I thus ended up thinking it must be
one of the many Hicks paintings that you had
posted. Furthermore, the small size of the posted
image did not allow for much of an analysis --
that's why I referred to the large online image
(of another Hicks version) when talking about the
treatment of colors and background.

Taken all together, this certainly devaluates my
references to folk art all together (IN THAT
COMPARISON). Yet, it does not put any weight onto
the comparison of the two paintings (Sully's and
the North Korean) in itself. From an art
historical point of view these are stylistically
far apart, and also far apart (as I tried to
explain) from the point of historical development
... that is, how the North Korean painters ended
up with that kind of image. It may well work for
a popular magazine like the Economist to present
such a comparison (but looking this up, the
magazine did not do that), and I can understand
that many people might "go for it" -- but it is
not a serious approach, it is not an art
historical analysis, just mockery. Was it meant
that way? It only works *to some degree* by
blending out many other facts and circumstances.
However, some time in the 1990s, as I mentioned
in another private email to you, I saw a similar
piece in one of the South Korean art magazines
(maybe Wôlgan misul or Kana at'û -- it would take
me too long to locate that now), where the very
same North Korean painting had also been compared
to a historical battle scene painting, either one
showing Napoleon or also Washington. Comparing
paintings that are 170 years apart only goes so
far ... that is, not very far. EVEN THOUGH we
talk about North Korea, and everyone and their
grandma seem to feel the urge to be more flashy
than North Korean propaganda itself, this is not
helpful in understanding North Korean art--and
thereby understanding what kind of developments
went on in North Korea, and how all the various
pieces relate to each other. I personally would
prefer to make the joke or ironic remark AFTER
having tried to do a serious analysis, not to
start an analysis. But this is just me. Yet, I
hope at least those in Korean Studies would agree.

Best wishes,
Frank

Post Scriptum:
Photoshop always does the job to get the message
out far more brilliant, no need to bother with
art history then :)

--
Frank Hoffmann