[KS] Ha-Joon Chang has a new website

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 07:45:13 EDT 2010

Dear friends and colleagues,

I think and hope the name and work of Ha-Joon  Chang
will be known to many on these lists.

Currently teaching in Cambridge (the original one),  he
is one of the most interesting economists alive  today.
At a time when capitalism manifestly isn't working  well,
his heterodox views are all the more important to  hear.

He has a new website: _www.hajoonchang.net_ (http://www.hajoonchang.net)
which is an good place to get to know his work.

Don't miss his vivid account of growing up in a poorer  Korea:
_http://www.hajoonchang.net/downloads/Bad%20Samaritans%20Prologue.pdf_
(http://www.hajoonchang.net/downloads/Bad%20Samaritans%20Prologue.pdf)
This would be an excellent text to give to students also.

Unbelievably, in 2008 some of his books were blacklisted by the
ROK military from conscripts' reading, as supposedly seditious!
_http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/301730.html_
(http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/301730.html)

I don't know whether this idiotic and shameful ban is still in  place,
or if MND has now seen sense. (Of course, it only boosted sales.)

Best wishes
Aidan FC

Aidan  Foster-Carter
Honorary Senior Research  Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds
University, UK
E: _afostercarter at aol.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at aol.com)
_afostercarter at yahoo.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at yahoo.com)    W: _www.aidanfc.net_
(http://www.aidanfc.net/)
Flat 1,  40 Magdalen Road,  Exeter,  Devon,  EX2 4TE,  England,  UK
T: (+44, no 0)     07970 741307 (mobile);     01392 257753 (home)
Skype:  Aidan.Foster.Carter   Twitter:  fcaidan