[KS] Official end of WWII in Asia

Robinson, Michael E. robime at indiana.edu
Sun Sep 5 18:42:32 EDT 2010

Dear Kwang-On:

I think the point is the use of  the word "hero".  Yoon's involvement in terrorism in the cause of Korean independence is I suppose rightly heroic in nationalist logic.  This requires that a previous judgment has been made about the various causes the principles represented.  Here the hapless general who was blown up is associated with Japan and its morally reprehensible colonialism and Mr. Yoon the righteous Korean cause of independence...which further requires a belief in some doctrine of the immutability of ethnic groups to self-determination....and on and on.  More believable would be a narrative that correctly identifies the causes, motives, on both sides and gets the facts of the terror correct and maybe recognizes the humanity of both victim and perpetrator....and then uses language which might neutralize our valorization of murder in a righteous cause since that is the kind of thinking which unfortunately animates so much killing throughout human history....a lamentable but immutable fact in and of itself.

Mike Robinson