[KS] Official end of WWII in Asia

David Mason mntnwolf at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 5 23:30:57 EDT 2010

Well surely, Prof. Frank, you are aware that one nation's martyr-hero is usually the other nation's terrorist criminal -- pretty much a constant throughout human history.  I always bring this up when teaching my students about Korea's cultural history and we come to Nongye (1592) -- still a highly-honored hero in today's SK, her shrines visited and Jangsu-gun & Jinju-shi proudly promoting her image (I wonder if she's still lionized in the North, does anyone know?) -- what's the diff beteen her and today's Iraqi suicide-bombers that target American soldiers?

Raising the question makes the Korean students uncomfortable, which is good, get 'em to think about such issues; amuses the other students, but they are reminded that almost every country has such cases.  It's usually not resolvable on either side -- just a real good case for discussion of values.

Sincere Regards,
David

David A. Mason
Professor of Korean Tourism, Kyung Hee University
Main Website: http://www.san-shin.org
also http://zozayong.com and http://baekdu-daegan.com
find me on Facebook and skype as "mntnwolf"

Office Phone: 02-961-0852    Mobile: 010-9734-9753
#710, Hotel-Tourism Management College Bldg
Kyung Hee University, Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu,
Seoul City, 130-701 Republic of Korea

"When we try to pick out anything by itself,
we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
   --   John Muir