[KS] Official end of WWII in Asia

Kent Allen Davy kentdavy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 20:48:27 EDT 2010

This discussion seems like an object lesson designed to illustrate
Oakeshott's distinction between the "practical past", i.e., the past
hijacked by the present for instrumental purposes and, hence, understood
only from the perspective of the present viewers' competing self-interests,
and the genuine "historical past", understood strictly in respect of that
which preceded it - although in this case, even the ostensible spokesmen for
the historical past seem only inadvertently to defend it, apparently being
less inclined to appreciate it for its own sake than as a foil for the
expression of their own moralism(s).
"The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."