[KS] " The Story of the Awakening and the Destruction of a Nation", Korea, 1866-1907

Kwang On Yoo lovehankook at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 22:11:06 EDT 2010

Dear George,

Yes.

Chapter V, The Murder of The Queen, Page 62

The night before the day of murder, October 8(Lunar August 20)2am, 1895,
" Rumours had reached the palace that some plot was in progress, but no one
seems to have taken much trouble to maintain special watch. There were two
foreigners in charge of of the palace guards, *Mr. Sabatine, a Russian*, and
General Dye, an American. Neither of these came out of the the affair with
enhanced reputation. General Dye was a very charming old gentleman, skilled
in growing apples. The products of his orchard were the admiration of his
neighbours, but he was of little use in protecting his Royal employers. I
have been unable to find out exactly what he did during the subsequent
events, but he seems to have been shut in a room and to have done
nothing. *Sabatine
*was brushed on one side by the conspirator, and threatened with death if he
interfered. Whatever the excuses of these two men, the damning fact remains
that they lived through that night without suffering so much as a scratch,
and without striking a blow for the woman they were paid to protect."

Also, *Mr. Sabatine's *name appears 3 times in
"Korea and Her Neighbours",1897 by Isabella Bird Bishop;
Chapter XXIII The Assassination of the Queen.

For details, please visit Brother Anthony's So Gang University link:
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/BooksKorea.htm

Many Koreans cherish your  great-grandfather's works.

Regards,

Kwang-On Yoo