[KS] Earliest European account of Korea?

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Tue Apr 12 20:05:55 EDT 2011

I am sure I have seen pictures of old European maps which show Korea as an island and they might well have been the source of that early "mention" which can hardly qualify as an "account". The Haklyut Society edition,  The voyage of John Huyghen van Linschoten to the East Indies,  can be viewed online at   http://www.archive.org/details/voyagejohnhuygh02tielgoog   and since it dates from 1885, I suppose its mention of "the Catholic mssionaries" might possibly be a reference to the  Du Halde volume, but I rather think it refers to Charles Dallet, Histoire de l'Eglise de Coree (1874).

Brother Anthony
Sogang University / Dankook University / RASKB