[KS] 답장: mistakes on the Korean musical terms appeared in the glossary of the JVC Video Anthology of World Music and Dance

장연옥 yonokchang at ymail.com
Wed Apr 20 02:00:28 EDT 2011

Dear Hilary,

I appreciate your comments. And thank you for your time to sharing and giving
your thoughts.

With many thanks,

Yeonok

________________________________
보낸 사람: Hilary V. Finchum-Sung <finchumsung at snu.ac.kr>
받는 사람: Korean Studies Discussion List <koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>; Korean
Studies Discussion List <koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>
보낸 시간: 2011년 4월 19일 (화), 10:38:32 PM
제목: Re: [KS] mistakes on the Korean musical terms appeared in the glossary of
the JVC Video Anthology of World Music and Dance

Dear Yeonok Jang (and others interested on the list):

I appreciate the call for attention on the JVC series.  It certainly has issues,
and this is the first time I've seen a comment about the series on the list.

It's been known for a while that the poor production quality and innaccurate
descriptions included with the videos/DVDs of the JVC series make the entire
series fairly worthless for any real use in the classroom.  It's not only the
Korean music/performance section (which is tiny in comparison with other
sections--which is a good thing, in this case) with serious problems but other
sections and, I dare say, entire volumes.  In addition to my own disappointment
in the series, I've read negative reviews by scholars who are experts in
African, Southeast Asian, Middle Eastern (etc) music.  These reviews are all
connected by the understanding that the series is sloppy, poorly researched, and
shamefully promoted as a good resource for those interested in learning
something about other musical cultures. The poor translations and inaccurate
labels and descriptions are a problem across this board, in all volumes of the
series.  The greatest shame is the aggressive marketing of the JVC series to
academic institutions, and the over-the-top pricing of the series might create a
foolish assumption that the series is of some value.

I would not waste my time trying to amend the JVC series translations and
descriptions. Rather than fix something that is broken beyond repair (and widely
recognized as a poorly executed project), it might be of value to consider
garnering funding to create an entirely new series (in this case, speaking of
Korea) recorded, researched, and written by those who really know their stuff
and made accessible to individuals both inside and outside of Korea.

Sincerely,

Hilary Finchum-Sung

Dept of Korean Music
Seoul National University