[KS] Science meets Art

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Thu Aug 4 09:15:12 EDT 2011

"Science meets Art"--or rather a storm in the teacup?
The crescent moon has since archaic times been a symbol for female
fertility in very many cultures. No matter if you look at Christian,
Indian, Middle Eastern, or Chinese iconography, you will also find
examples for the crescent moon with the extremities pointing
*downward* as in Sin Yun-bok's masterpiece. Bartolomé Esteban Murillo
(1617-1682) wrote, commenting his own work (a Maria depiction):
"Beneath her feet we behold the moon. Although it is a solid planet, I
myself rendered it light and translucent, hanging over the landscape
as a half-moon with the extremities pointing downward." In India the
Goddess Shailutri is usually depicted with a half-moon (extremities
pointing down) in her forehead, and sometimes even Shiva is. The
downward pointing half-moon has in such depictions often the function
of a crown. In Daoist texts the downward pointing crescent moon is
interpreted as a sign for the slow movement of power changes
(movements) within Yin and Yang cycle of life--and some of the Daoyin
breathing practices are based on this constellation. Interesting in
our case, for Sin Yun-bok's painting, in India and South East Asian
cultures (and I have at this time no information if and how this
travelled to East Asia) the crescent moon with the extremities
pointing downward is understood as representing female sexuality (not
just vertility). THAT absolutely makes sense then in Sin's painting of
lovers. One would certainly have to research such an issue further,
look for other examples in East Asian painting and sculpture, that for
sure. But please understand that painters did in traditional times not
just paint what they saw, not the way they saw it. That may to some
degree not be completely excluded, of course, especially with someone
like Sin Yun-bok. However, the moon is just used so heavily as an
icon, I would think this is a rather obscure argument.

dnɔɐǝʇ ǝɥʇ uı ɯɹoʇs ɐ ʇsnɾ -- pɹɐʍuʍop ƃuıʇuıod sǝıʇıɯǝɹʇxǝ ǝɥʇ ɥʇıʍ
uooɯ ʇuǝɔsǝɹɔ ǝɥʇ

Best,
Frank