[KS] Striking photographs of the DPRK from AP's David Guttenfelder, in The Atlantic

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 04:10:05 EDT 2011

Not any shmuck with a camera -- any skilled photographer with camera and set of lenses. I've seen literally every one of those scenes on tourist trips. The shots of Kaesong houses are from the Kaesong eco complex, the buildings just across the fence, but skilled camera work gives the impression they're quite separate from anything like that. I was on a trip that included the same AP photographer nearly three years ago -- shot the same empty intersections, the same scenes in the huge library on KIS Square, the same, ok, much the same, cows pulling ploughs and carts etc.. Only I was using a film camera that cost $2.50 cents from a store that needed to sell everything out in Connecticut and the AP guy had all the latest, greatest equipment. Bottom line: there's nothing new in these pictures, and we're still waiting for the
 chance to shoot the real story on what's happening there. Maybe that's not significant or interesting -- am just telling what I know, you decide the "meaning.".
Don Kirk