[KS] Striking photographs of the DPRK from AP's David Guttenfelder, in The Atlantic

Tobias Lehmann Tobias53 at gmx.de
Tue Aug 9 11:30:47 EDT 2011

I don't think that it makes much sense to distinguish between normal (or ordinary) and, as the opposite, abnormal countries; it all depends on the perspective and especially on the discipline from which one regards NK. In many cases we not even have reliable information which give sufficient evidence.

At least the older generation may benefit from looking back to the past of SK. Some of my South Korean friends imagine and compare NK and its everyday life as well as people's mentality with the 1960s and 1970s in SK.

Also, I do think that NK may not be an exotic place - whatever it precisely means, if it means anything - for list members who are experts or somehow involved with Korean studies but for the majority of the world in which we live NK is grasped and imagined as a very, maybe most exotic place worldwide which is due to the representation in the news and sometimes due to certain publications creating intentionally an exotic image. It fits well with the perception of its own national identity which is assumed to be superior (USA, maybe Europe) and supported through west-centered communication and rhetoric which is then in turn really alien and exotic to NK...
Best,
Tobias Lehmann

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

--