[KS] (no subject)

Walraven, B.C.A. B.C.A.Walraven at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Feb 4 03:42:14 EST 2011

Most of you will already have heard the sad news of JaHyun Haboush’s  passing away on January 30. Her death at the end of a long battle with cancer, which she faced with great courage and stoicism, has been a great shock for her many friends all over the world, not least in Europe, where she often attended workshops and the AKSE conferences. It will be superfluous to list all her scholarly achievements here, but I particularly want to note the great debt we owe her for the various ways in which she has served the Korean Studies community by editing volumes that made a lasting contribution (beginning with The Rise of Neo-Confucianism in Korea, co-edited with De Bary), and by organizing workshops, conferences and collaborative projects that have significantly raised the profile of the field and encouraged us to explore new perspectives. The volume Epistolary Korea: Letters in the Communicative Space of the Chosŏn, 1392-1910 she edited most recently is an excellent example of the way she furthered the cause of Korean Studies by initiating a joint project. JaHyun conceived the idea, worked out the concept that links a wide range of documents, and then made great efforts to bring the project to a highly successful conclusion. Without her, we would have nothing even remotely similar to this valuable collection. JaHyun’s scholarly gifts were matched by her personal qualities. She will be very much missed, both as a scholar and as a person, and remembered with gratitude and affection.

Boudewijn Walraven