[KS] Egypt and Gwangju 1980

Tommy tommychevorst at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 15:03:40 EST 2011

I'm more worried about the ease with which Police States (pre-2011
Egypt) and Military Dictatorships (pre-1980 Korea) are being conflated.

The military has not acted violently against the Egyptian people in
generations.  Egyptians link their freedom to the military coup of
Naguib/Nasser, and hold the military in very high regard.  The state's
Police forces, on the other hand, were feared and reviled by all
Egyptians, and were much more comparable to the old DDR's /Stasi/.

In the current revolution, there have been widespread reports of the
military assisting the populace in defending themselves against police
aggression: letting the people use tanks as barriers against police
gunfire, taking over police bunkers for the people to use, etc.  When
the police regime was toppled last week, it was the military that
coordinated the people's checkpoints, which prevented anyone with police
ID from getting through and looting.  A jaded commentator may say this
was in the military's own long-term best interest, but it is in keeping
with a long record of good relations between the military and the
people.  The people of Egypt are chanting "The people and the military
are one!" in the streets, so they cannot be counted among the cynics.

Mubarak's Egypt was not a military dictatorship, it was a police state:
in that important sense, it was most unlike Korea under ??? / ???.